- Served as Canada’s 3rd Parliamentary Poet Laureate from 2006-2008.
- His five books of poetry include That Night We Were Ravenous, which won the 1999 Atlantic Poetry Prize.
- His novel, The Afterlife of George Cartwright, won the 1993 Smithbooks/Books in Canada First Novel Award, the Thomas Head Raddall Award and was shortlisted for the Governor General’s Award and the Commonwealth Prize for Best First Book.
- Although born in Ontario, Steffler adopted Newfoundland and Labrador as his home for over 30 years ago.
- His writings about Newfoundland reflect a most Canadian occupation with discovery and exploration.
- His classic of Canadian wilderness writing, The Grey Islands, describes a sojourn on an isolated island off the coast of Newfoundland.
In this lesson
- That Night We Were Ravenous
- My Latest Invention